License & copyright
LuaAV has been partially developed by graduate researchers (mainly Wesley Smith and Graham Wakefield) at the Media Arts & Technology program, University of California Santa Barbara. It is covered by the UC Regents license, which is similar in nature to the BSD or MIT license.
Copyright (C) 2008-2010. The Regents of the University of California (REGENTS). All Rights Reserved. Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and distribute modified versions of this software and its documentation without fee and without a signed licensing agreement, is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice, the list of contributors, this paragraph and the following two paragraphs appear in all copies, modifications, and distributions. IN NO EVENT SHALL REGENTS BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST PROFITS, ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE AND ITS DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF REGENTS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. REGENTS SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE SOFTWARE AND ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTATION, IF ANY, PROVIDED HEREUNDER IS PROVIDED "AS IS". REGENTS HAS NO OBLIGATION TO PROVIDE MAINTENANCE, SUPPORT, UPDATES, ENHANCEMENTS, OR MODIFICATIONS.
The LuaAV source and distribution includes some great code written by wonderful people:
LuaAV is based on the lovely Lua language. Lua is Copyright (C) 1994-2008 Lua.org, PUC-Rio. See http://www.lua.org for more information about Lua.
On certain platforms, LuaAV uses the amazing LuaJIT implemenation of Lua. LuaJIT is Copyright © 2005-2010 Mike Pall. LuaJIT is open source software, released under the MIT/X license.
LuaAV also uses or includes several great extensions to the Lua language, including:
- LPEG (http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/lpeg/). Copyright © 2008 Lua.org, PUC-Rio.
- LPEG-list (http://github.com/mascarenhas/lpeg-list). Copyright © Roberto Ierusalimschy and Fabio Mascarenhas.
- LuaFileSystem. The LuaFileSystem (http://keplerproject.github.com/luafilesystem) library is designed and implemented by Roberto Ierusalimschy, André Carregal and Tomás Guisasola. The implementation is not derived from licensed software. Copyright © 2003 Kepler Project.
- LuaDoc (http://luadoc.luaforge.net/). The LuaDoc is designed and implemented by Danilo Tuler and Tomás Guisasola. The implementation is not derived from licensed software.Copyright © 2004-2007 The Kepler Project.
- LuaSQL (http://www.keplerproject.org/luasql), designed and implemented by the Kepler team. The implementation is not derived from licensed software.Copyright © 2004-2007 The Kepler Project.
- LuaSocket (http://w3.impa.br/~diego/software/luasocket/). Copyright © 2004-2007 Diego Nehab. All rights reserved.
LuaAV makes use of LLVM/Clang (http://llvm.org) Copyright © 2003-2010 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The LLVM System Interface Library is licensed under the Illinois Open Source License and has the following additional copyright: Copyright © 2004 eXtensible Systems, Inc.
LuaAV includes software (the Apache Portable Runtime) developed by the Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
LuaAV makes use of and contributes to the AlloCore library developed in the AlloSphere Research Group (http://www.allosphere.ucsb.edu/software.php). Copyright © 2006-2008. The Regents of the University of California (REGENTS). All Rights Reserved.
LuaAV also includes or uses:
- The PortAudio Portable Real-Time Audio Library (available at: http://www.portaudio.com). Copyright © 1999-2006 Ross Bencina and Phil Burk.
- The Gamma C++ audio library (http://mat.ucsb.edu/gamma/). Copyright © 2006-2008. The Regents of the University of California (REGENTS). All Rights Reserved.
- The JACK ringbuffer (http://jackaudio.org). Copyright © 2000 Paul Davis, Copyright © 2003 Rohan Drape.
- The FreeImage open source image library. See http://freeimage.sourceforge.net for details. FreeImage is used under the FIPL, version 1.0.
- The oscpack Open Sound Control packet manipulation library (http://www.audiomulch.com/~rossb/oscpack). Copyright © 2004-2005 Ross Bencina <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- The RtMIDI C++ classes (http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~gary/rtmidi/). Copyright © 2003-2007 Gary P. Scavone.
- Portions of openFrameworks (http://www.openframeworks.cc). Copyright © 2004-2009 OFTeam.
- VAMP (http://www.vamp-plugins.org/). Copyright © 2006 Chris Cannam. Centre for Digital Music, Queen Mary, University of London.
- VRPN (Virtual Reality Peripheral Network, http://www.cs.unc.edu/Research/vrpn/), which was placed into the public domain by the copyright owner Russell M. Taylor II at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on 5/4/98.
- The WiimoteKit2 framework. Copyright © 2008, Shadow Lab.